Neidecker-LeVeck & Crosser Funeral Homes
Peter Neidecker and his son, John A. Neidecker, founded the Neidecker-LeVeck & Crosser Funeral Home in 1872. The establishment is one of Ohio's oldest established funeral homes and is the oldest and only locally owned funeral firm in Ottawa County. For many years, the firm was known as the J.A. Neidecker Company and also operated a furniture store on Madison Street in downtown Port Clinton. J.A. Neidecker was assisted in the business by his sons, Philip and Frederick S. Neidecker for many years. After the death of Fred Neidecker in 1945, the firm was operated by his wife, Alpha. In 1949 Mrs. Neidecker sold the business to long time employees, William Eberle and Earl LeVeck, who operated the business as Neidecker-Eberle-LeVeck Funeral Home until Mr. Ebele's retirement in 1968. Earl LeVeck operated the funeral home as Neidecker-LeVeck Funeral Home until his death in 1985 when the Crosser family purchased the business. In 1995, after outgrowing its longtime Adams Street location, the firm moved to a spacious new facility on Fulton Street in Port Clinton.
In September of 2000, the Peninsula Chapel of the Neidecker-LeVeck & Crosser Funeral Home was opened to serve the families of Danbury Township, Lakeside, Marblehead, and Kelleys Island. It is the first and only funeral home on the Marblehead peninsula.
Since our founding over 130 years ago, our goal has been to provide the most efficient, personal service, in the most comfortable, modem facilities, by the most caring, professional staff.
History of the Crosser Funeral Homes
The Crosser Funeral Home was established in Oak Harbor in 1958 by Clifford and Kathleen Crosser. They purchased the former Edward A. Dwyer Funeral Home, which was established in 1953 and closed in 1957 upon the death of Mr. Dwyer. Due to the growth of the business, an addition was added in 1970, which nearly tripled the size of the building. Their son, John joined them in the business in 1976. The firm purchased the R.F. Myers Funeral Home in Elmore in 1975. That business was established by Fred Sabroske and Richard Myers in 1937, and was known as Sabroske & Myers until Mr. Sabroske's retirement in 1964. The firm operated in the Sabroske home on Ottawa Street in Elmore, until the former Burman Funeral Home on Rice Street was purchased in 1964.
Symbol of the Pineapple
The symbol of the pineapple, which we have adopted as our logo, has its roots in Colonial America, most specifically Virginia. In colonial times and also today, the pineapple represents hospitality and friendship. In colonial Virginia, a pineapple placed near a door meant that friends and travelers were always welcome and the home was a safe haven in what was then a sparsely settled, rather hostile Virginia countryside. In Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia today, the pineapple is featured widely in the restored colonial capital. At Crosser Funeral Homes and Neidecker-LeVeck & Crosser Funeral Homes, the pineapple is used as a symbol of our family heritage of warm hospitality and friendship to families who have placed their trust in us in their time of need.